Friday, January 14, 2011

Once Again

Every day is someone's birthday. Tomorrow is my birthday.

This of course means I'll be a year older than I was at this time last year, but it also means I'll be a year younger than what I'll be next year. The mortality tables never really end, they just tell you that if you're here, you've got a certain probability of being there. My chances for advancement are still very high.

Age is acquired in tiny increments. It only has magnitude when you add up all the increments. And graphically, the right boundary is way out there. In fact, human life can go to about 114-116 years. Then the skin, the largest organ, gives out. I really can't remember a reliable obituary for someone past 116 years old.

In the movie 'Chinatown,' over his lunch, the John Huston public water works titan Noah Cross saltily tells the private detective character J.J. Gittes, played by Jack Nicholson that, "politicians, public buildings and whores all gain respectability if they last long enough."

Turns out, I'm neither one of those three categories, but I don't think they're the only ones that can gain respectability through longevity. Living well is good revenge. And living well and long is even better. Respectable is not impossible.

http://www.onofframp.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment