Monday, January 24, 2011

On the Way to Dixie


I save newspaper clippings. This is of no surprise to anyone who has stumbled across some of these blog entries, and certainly not to my wife who just concedes that a certain amount of air space is bound to disappear every year as the stack, trimmed and untrimmed, gets bigger. I haven't had to apply for a zoning variance yet, but life's not over.

Cartoon panels are amongst the items saved. Not all cartoons, and not from all sources. These days these will generally come from the WSJ when the tag line and picture strike a chord. I'm not so far behind, or yet so far around the bend that I can't remember why I cut the cartoon out. It quickly comes to me. And sometimes I pull one out and make make sure it's readily available for some future use. Maybe a presentation. Maybe a blog entry.

Take the 'Pepper and Salt' WSJ cartoon I clipped. It's not dated, but from the drifts of paper around it, I peg it from around 2008 sometime.

There's a bar, with an open front door, a sidewalk, a street, and a window to the right of the door that two guys are looking out of. There are also two guys rolling around on the sidewalk. They are definitely not looking for a contact lens. They are fighting.

One guy in the window says to the other, explaining who the combatants are: "One's from the Brookings Institution, the other's from the Heritage Foundation."

This is droll. New Yorker stuff. WSJ stuff. Funny, but let's keep going. So, why in the world would I save it? I was hoping someone would ask.

I will forever remember one summer morning looking out of the Checker cab's back window in the 1950s, on the way to the Dixie Hotel with my mother to catch a 12 hour Trailways bus ride to Malone, New York, before the New York State Thruway was built, to spend a week with my mother's friend from her WWII Army nursing days. Gracie, from Tennessee, lived on a dairy farm with her husband and daughter, who was just a little younger than I was.

As the cab went up 3rd Avenue and we passed a Blarney Stone bar just north of 42nd Street on the west side of the avenue, two fellows stumbled out of the front door. One removed his jacket and placed it Sir Walter Raleigh-like over the sidewalk cellar door and then proceeded to engage the other fellow in a fistfight. They were quickly rolling around on the sidewalk.

I jumped up on the cab's seat with my knees to get a better look, but the cab kept going. The driver had the lights. It was a great start to a summer vacation.

The cartoon bar looks exactly like the bar the fight was in front of. I don't remember anyone other than the driver being in the cab with us. Perhaps he took up drawing.

http://www.onofframp.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment