Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The Practical Miracle

I once worked with someone who talked of "practical miracles." They read it somewhere, and firmly believed that when something happens that's good, it's something you've been waiting for, even if you haven't been thinking about it constantly.

I pretty much concurred with her because why argue about the existence of something neither of us can prove or disprove? I'd just call it good-luck, or serendipitous, and it would be the same thing.

Well today, I had TWO practical miracles. Unfortunately, my co-worker is no longer with us to tell her. It would be a true miracle if I could tell her. The "practical miracles" may not seem like much, and I'm certainly not financially richer beyond belief, but, I do have sharpened gardening shears and knives AND an explanation for the B that appears at the end of the name of some thoroughbred races. I am richer than Croesus right now.

A gardening adage is it's time to prune whenever the pruning shears are sharp. I keep a pair in the kitchen drawer to facilitate the urge to trim in front of the house, and a pair in the shed when doing the back.

They're good quality, and left-handed for my use. They get dull and I try to sharpen them on my own, but I never get back to the sharpness I started with after I've picked the shears up from the place I've taken them to in NYC, Westphal's, on 25th Street, just west of Sixth Avenue.

Using Westphal's was always easy because I worked nearby. It's a narrow storefront that runs deep into the back and looks like it should collapse. But, it's a busy enough place and they do good work. They help service what's left of the garment trade in the area, and the student and faculty at Fashion Institute College, (FIT) nearby. One of the women there told me pilots used to come in a lot with kitchen knives near the holidays. Post 9/11, this isn't happening.

But, I'm no longer in the area like I used to be, and access to Westphal's becomes a bit harder. I was trying to find sharpening services where I live, but none popped up. I was straining to hear the slowly clanging bell signifying the sharpener was coming down the block with his grinding wheels and was ready for business.

I asked my wife if she's ever heard the bell, and she said no. I remember the sharpeners who came down the block when I was a kid in Flushing. I think the guy pulled out a foot-pedal grinding wheel and sharpened whatever came flying out of people's homes.

Well, both shears have been dull, there's work to do, and I'm annoyed I'm not getting to Westphal's. I even dream last night that a sharpening service has opened up in the neighborhood and I bring by shears and knives over.

So, what happens? The next day: Clang. Another clang. Another Clang. It's 1:00 o'clock and this can't be the ice cream man. The clang is a few blocks over, but quite clear. Could this be a sharpener?

And then, the clang comes up the block. Clang. A slowly moving short blue truck.Vet's Sharpening Service. Clang. there's no one flying out of their doors. They're all at work. But me. I flag the guy down, which is not hard to since he is going about three miles an hour.

How much for...? Don't move. He's not. Fifteen minutes later and $25 lighter, I'm trimming hosta stalks off the plants and having the time of my life getting clean cuts.

Do you have a card? Can I call you next time I've got a batch of things that need sharpening? Like a shovel? Sure. I'm in heaven.

And then, did I get an e-mail/twitter answer from anyone regarding my inquiry as the why there are thoroughbred races with a B after their name, and other races with no B. The Union AvenueB100K; DreamRush100K. No B. Why?

In handicapping, every notation means something. So, what are they telling us about races when these un-graded stake races can have a B and not have a B.

That same morning after my sharpening dream, I write to the racing secretary at the New York Racing Asssociation (NYRA) asking this question: To B or not to B. Since I just mailed the letter I can't expect an answer yet. But, I use social media and contact Equibase, a compiler of past performances. I also try other people and organizations.

After returning to the house with sharp tools for the drawer and shed, I see Equibase has answered me. B is a Black Type race. I know what this means. It's a high level race that will be in black type (bold) when the horse comes up for breeding to designate either winning the race, or placing second or third in the race. The more black type races in a horse's past, the more likely they will command a higher price for breeding. And their offspring will be considered to have a better chance of being good.

Equibase has also thoughtfully given me a link to a page from the NAICSC, the North American International Committee Standards outlining the criteria for a Black Type designation.

I stay in heaven.

http://www.omofframp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment