Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Karate Kicks

The reader might remember back in March a bit of a rant on the naked men statues that began appearing in NYC.

A letter I wrote to Mayor Mike with a copy to the Daily News got prominently placed in the Daily News in their Voice of the People feature. I have to say, very prominently placed. It appeared in the April 8th edition of the paper, complete with headline, puns fully intended, and an appropriate picture of the mayor contemplating something. Perhaps a navel. Perhaps not. The picture was worth many words.

Well, the statues are still there, and by all accounts will still be with us through August. They’ve held up well, and I can recount how well.

I pass a statue that graces the northeast corner of 26th Street and Fifth Avenue. (Pictured above.) It’s a busy Madison Square Park area. Going home, I’m headed for Penn Station, so I’m walking west on 26th, with a view of the statue before I actually reach the corner. Last week I spotted someone who quite plainly wasn’t all there, who was taking a keen interest in the figure. I knew something was going to happen.

This was around 6 P.M. and the spot was busy. The interested individual was somewhat husky, had his baseball ball cap askew on his head, and was dressed somewhat shabbily, but not automatically homeless looking. His eyes did appear to be on the side of his head. He was distracted by the figure.

I reached the corner and had to wait for the light. The distracted fellow by now had measured how far to stand away from the statue so he could deliver smashing karate kicks to its groin. The statue didn’t budge, much as I hoped someone would fulfill a wish.

As he was kicking I made sure I stayed in motion at the corner, pacing in small circles. I didn’t want the kicker to think I too was a statue (despite being dressed) and that he had to deal with two of them.

A few kicks at a well cemented piece of bronze and the kicker gave up. But now he took out a large marker and was scrawling on the statue’s forehead. A price, maybe?

Quite honestly, others were starting to look, but I’m not a gaper. The traffic stopped, the light was in my favor, and I just plain kept going, somewhat disappointed he wasn't able to accomplish what it seemed he set out to do. It's hard to make something cast in bronze double over in pain.

The statue is still there. No price on his head.

http://www.onofframp.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment