Monday, January 22, 2018

The Connected World

'The Unsinkable Molly Brown' was on Turner the other night. I've never watched the whole movie, but I remember when the musical was a big success on Broadway.

The musical was made into a 1964 movie, so it is certifiably an old movie at this point, and an old form of entertainment, play, song and dance. A musical. Lots of dance.

Debbie Reynolds stars in the movie, and Ms. Reynolds was certainly in the news recently for having died the day after her daughter Carrie Fished passed away. Hearts can break.

Those of the age that have Social Security checks on direct deposit know Debbie's story quite well. When I've watched the bar room dance scene I marvel at the continuity of the dancing—the sheer length of the scene and the energy exuded.

It always reminds me of what my friend's father, Sidney Piermont, a CBS producer said in the 60s of how a woman got into show business. You had to be a triple threat. You had to sing, dance and act. And certainly Debbie Reynolds and others filled that bill.

The musical/play and subsequent movie is based on a historic figure, Margaret Brown, who did survive the sinking of the Titanic, and who used her wealth and social position for survivor causes, as well as women's causes. She would have had a black dress on the other night if she were still alive.

Margaret was never known in real life as Molly, but show business can take liberties. Watching parts of the movie again the other night I took a further interest in Molly Brown and did the usual Google/Wikipedia thing.

I found out she passed away in 1932 and is buried in Holy Rood cemetery here on Long Island. Holy Rood is a Catholic cemetery and is where one of the victims of the shootings at Empire on September 16, 2002 is buried. Isabel was a co-worker, and I've written extensively about the event, although beyond some small references, none of which has appeared here.

I just got finished corresponding with a Wall Street Journal reporter, Rachel Feintzeig, who wrote a recent informative article about suicides in the workplace and the aftermath.

Ms. Feintzeig was nice enough to answer my inquiry that she would be interested in reading what I summarized in 2005. Within a few days she responded that she read the "harrowing story."

Since Holy Rood is really not far from where I live, I have already visited Isabel's grave site. Her birthday is in May, so on my next visit I am now going to find where Margaret (Molly) Brown is also buried.

We really do live on a Mobius strip.

http://www.onofframp.blogspot.com



2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this! Larry Barton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want, I can send you the 2005 piece I wrote. Still applies. Can email as an attachment.

      Delete