Monday, June 8, 2015

Edelweiss

Once again, we have a picture of the world's most famous, and most photographed woman with clothes on, Germany's Chancellor Angela Merkel.

Despite her face being obscured, even without reading the caption, it is easy to identify Ms. Merkel through the Alpine wildflowers, leading a group of suit and tie men to the designated rocky promontory where they are going to rehearse singing, "I'd Like to Buy the World a Home," sung without endorsing a classic American soft drink known as Coca-Cola.

For anyone who might just be getting back from the Space Station, or a chemically induced coma and you missed the ending of 'Mad Men' where that 1971 commercial chestnut, 'I'd Like to Buy the World a Coke,' closed the series as Don Draper has a meditation moment cross-legged on a hilltop.

I loved that commercial. It was lyrical, and one of the women in the front row reminded me of a statistics teacher I had at the night school I was attending at the time. For the life of me I can't remember her name, but it's her twin.

Originally, the G-7 Group was going to record 'The Hills Are Alive' from 'The Sound of Music.' They went to Plan B when the Mad Men/Don Draper ending attracted so much international attention.

Personally, I can't wait for the release. I may just buy the album.

No comments:

Post a Comment