Monday, February 18, 2013

Members of the The Resistance

More of us have things in common than we're naturally aware of. Until we find each other, we're members of a common resistance movement unknown to each other. Take disliking the New York Times and their online paywall policy.

Anyone, or anything can annoy you. Generally, the bigger they are in size, whatever the measurement criteria, the more intractable the annoyance. In other words, there's no relief. Spitting in the wind, holding your hand on your ass, pissing, and or baling out the ocean, are all phrases you could use when you try and take on a Giant.

In William Zinsser's book that I promised myself to get, 'The Writer Who Stayed,' Mr. Zinsser has collected his short essays that appeared online in the 'American Scholar' in his column, 'Zinsser on Friday.'  The essays cover a range of topics, but writing and the activities around it are the central theme. Some essays come off as a bit of a very focused rant that could easily be read while you're waiting for the train that's promised "right behind this one."

One such rant he directs at the New York Times on behalf of his wife, who despite many valiant efforts, seems to have been unable to convince the Times she gets home delivery from a vendor, and therefore should be able to get promised access to the online Times for home subscribers. My sympathies, and empathy go out to Mrs. Zinsser.

My own frustration is a variation on the theme. I get home delivery, but I'm the home deliverer. I buy the paper every day, except Sunday, at my local CVS store. I therefore pay full price, which right now is $2.50. I also buy the Wall Street Journal, so over time, I'm spending a few bucks here. But that's not what I'm complaining about.

Why don't I get home delivery from the Times, get their discount, become eligible for unlimited online access, and join the rest of the world?

I used to, but whoever they arranged to deliver the paper seemed to forget where the house is on way more than one occasion. Sure, phone calls extend my subscription one day, but one gets weary of the routine.

So, I am a subscriber in my eyes, but a newsstand subscriber.

Thus, when it comes to online access, I get the publicly offered 10 site visits per month that anyone gets. Go for the 11th one, and I'm reminded via pop-up how I don't have to suffer with this limitation, but can pay a few bucks and get the whole sheebang, unlimited, all the time.

Never mind that their paywall is about as easy to get around as it is to step over a hose delivering oil. You go to Goggle, find the article, send the link to yourself, or another account you control, and you can open the story. Of course you know the article because you bought the paper, or someone told you about it. This won't help you browse the online version, which is really the extent of their paywall limitation. Good luck with that, guys.

I understand a little bit about the newspaper game and that having auditable circulation numbers goes great when they're setting rates to charge the advertisers. Freelance buyers like myself don't leave electronic footprints.

So, I write comments on their contact page, and have written to Mr. Sulzberger, the publisher, and to Mr. Scott H. Heekin-Canedy, president and general manager, that why don't they arrange for a way to recognize this walkup audience that's out there. They've got UPC codes and QR codes that could be scanned. How about a prepaid NYT card in my name, like a MetroCard, that can be used to buy the paper, thereby leaving my precious income, demographic information on a server somewhere that will please the advertisers and help set rates?

A few letters went to Mr. Sulzberger, and a few to Mr. Scott H. Heekin-Canedy. Never an answer from anyone. Lately I've read that there has been buyout at the paper and Mr. Scott H. Heekin-Canedy will be leaving.

Scott, good luck with your home delivery. You might become one of us.

http://www.onofframp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment