Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Arrival

I always liked this Whitney Darrow cartoon I once saw in The New Yorker.  It's from 1967, long before I ever became terminally employed at an insurance company, and long before ever even thinking about starting a family.

The irony is I came to work for the very company named in the caption, and I always thought it funny that they might have ben pushed to pay for things that fell outside a small standard deviation of the mean.

The cartoon has fresh meaning for me since an offspring has now given birth to her second, and while the scene in the cartoon is not entirely representative of their family size, it does somewhat replicate the gathering that was at bedside the other night.

It's been a while since I've been in a hospital room, but the technology and accomodations are impressive.  The bed looked like something that would be used in the space program, with an at-first confusing digital readout on the side.  It said 61 degrees, and I couldn't imagine there was a need for the outside temperture to be known. And the room didn't feel that cool.

Of course the readout had nothing to do with temperture, but everything to do with the angle the back part of the bed was placed at.  In this case, a comfortable 61 degrees for sitting up and talking to people.  I went home that night trying to get my pillow in that exact setting.  I had to eye-ball it.

There's more, but significantly, the room was a private room: standard for this hospital for maternity, it seems.  Sleep-over couch, chairs, flat panel TV, absolutely full bathroom. The bassinet looked like it came from Ethan Allen, curved, polished wood, and looking nothing like Tupperware.

The meal menu looked like something from a hotel, and it turned out the father could order his dinner from there as well.  The food my daughter was plowing through looked good, and apparently was tasty.

All this of course lead me to ask my daughter and my son-in-law if their helath plan was aware of this, and how were they going to try and wiggle their way of the deductible and co-pay with this one.

I know all about these things.

http://www.onofframp.blogspot.com










No comments:

Post a Comment