Sunday, April 26, 2009

Greek Independence Day


Words and word combinations get my attention. The prior posting stopped short at "active breezes." All sorts of questions there. Can a breeze be a breeze if it's not active? We could go on and go, but won't. William Safire has got that job nailed down.

Funny phrases can come next. Playful descriptions that sound funny in their own right, and even funnier when you know something about the person who says them. Like my wife.

I got a call this morning about 9:00 from my wife who had gone into the city to drop my daughter off who was doing the Moore Half-Marathon in Central Park. Her plans were to drop her off, then look for street parking, or at worst, stay in motion, somewhat, to avoid a ticket.

"Guess what day it is."
"I thought it was Sunday...the 26th?"
"It's TAKI-LAKI-LET'S-EAT-SOUVLAKI-DAY!!, that's what it is."
"It's Greek Independence Day?"
"I couldn't get near Fifth,, or Madison...something's going on on Lexington, too."
"Stay away from Ninth, the Norwegians used to get that when I marched in the Greek parade."
"I had to spend $27 for a parking garage!"
"I didn't sign the parade permit and forget to tell you."

What she's really mad at is the $27, not that hairy guys in short skirts are going to grab hold of Fifth Avenue for a few hours. It's the not knowing. Be prepared. And she wasn't.

She hates traffic hold-ups. And the people, or things that cause them. She would have been right behind Patton in shooting the two jackasses who stopped pulling their carts on that narrow bridge in Italy and held up the tank convoy.

It's a good thing for the Greeks it's not World War II and she wasn't packin.'

http://www.onofframp.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment