Friday, January 22, 2021

Me and Me Me

If I was a songwriter I'd be trying to compose a song about the Bernie Sanders meme. Something like 'Me and 'Bobby McGee and Me Me' or, 'My Old Dog Blue Me Me.' But since that's not going to happen, I'll just write about my experience with Bernie and his mittens.

I was first alerted to the Bernie meme by my youngest daughter Susan's email that Bernie is everywhere. I had already seen the picture of the Vermont Senator huddled in socially distant isolation at the inauguration, and was now being treated to my daughter attaching the same image of Bernie sitting in front of the Jones Beach obelisk.

Since my daughter was a Jones Beach lifeguard and keeps in touch with those who still are, I figured she knew someone who posed as Bernie in front of the obelisk for shits and giggles. 

Then I scanned the Tweets of @emmagf, Emma Fitszimmons, the former NYT transit reporter and now city Hall Bureau Chief and lo and behold there's Bernie sitting in a subway seat all by his lonesome.

Bernie sitting in Seat No. 3 in his winter coat clearly shows that it is impossible for three New Yorkers. of any gender. wearing padded clothing to fit in those seats carved out for sick, naked, anorexic Asian women.
 
What gives? There's a very good Bernie impersonator riding the system and was captured at what looks like the Nostrand Avenue stop. Since Bernie is originally  from Brooklyn, I'm still trying to get my head around the incredible likeness being portrayed by the "impersonator." Jesus, they even got the shoes and the laces right.

Okay, keep laughing. Obviously I was unaware what a meme is, so I resorted  to the OED dictionary, the old school way. Hardcopy.

 I was aware it was somewhat of an Internet term, but the OED did have a full   definition:

BIOLOGY. An element of a culture or a system of behaviour [sic] that may be considered to be passed from one individual to another by non-genetic mean, esp. imitation.

In Bernie's case, the "non-genetic" means is of course the Internet.

Turns our the image of Bernie sitting in socially distant isolation at the inauguration in a church basement folding chair, bundled up against the cold, not wearing a hat but resting his hands in a pair of mittens knitted by a Vermont school teacher (What else? In Vermont you are either a writer, a school teacher, or a diary farmer.) across his crossed legs, wearing sensible rubber soled shoes wearing a good looking thermal coat, has spread faster than Covid-19 in a Trump elevator. Bernie has became a winter fashion icon.

There are so many images of Bernie being superimposed in front of so many backdrops my wonder is of course if there is someone who is going to get it right and put Bernie's image at a Jets home game. Because if anyone looks like an ancient-suffering Jets fan, it's Bernie.

Consider that the Jets haven't even been in a Super Bowl since the one they won in 1969, now a solid 52 years ago! They're fast approaching the 54-year drought the Rangers exhibited in not winning the Stanley Cup.

I'd catch meme fever and put Bernie in the stands myself, but I'm not that Internet savvy. Consider the first piece of television news I absorbed this morning is that there will be a Bernie bobble head doll. I kid you not. Perfect. Should be a Jets giveaway at the start of next season. Maybe for two seasons.

Having bought Vermont Teddy Bears over the years, I know they already have a Bernie Sanders one. My guess is this morning (right now probably, since these are dairy farm people) there is a meeting in Shelburne, Vt. where the bears are made to discuss the forthcoming NEW Bernie Sanders teddy bear. Check their website in a few weeks, or get on their email list.

Bernie and Joe Namath are both paired as being concerned about my health care. Bernie of course has been talking up national health care, and Joe, the Jets quarterback in that stunning upset of the Colts in 1969! has been hawking a Medicare Advantage plan that still seems to be seeking enrollment, even after January 1st.

I think Bernie next to Spike Lee at a Knicks game would be good too.

http://www.onofframp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment