Friday, July 3, 2020

10

I've migrated my entire desktop computer system and equipment to Microsoft 10. This has involved buying a new desktop computer (a "Tower" that looks like a miniature speaker), a new 24" monitor and a new color LaserJet printer.

This set me back a little, but since I survived my heart attack, I've figured I've earned another chance to outlive my money. If at first you don't succeed, try again.

The new monitor is nice, but doesn't have any ability to hold the sound bar from the prior unit. But since everything is black, the sound bar rests on the base and doesn't look too kludge.

Best I can tell the computer is faster but full of sales pitches. There is something called  a "one drive" that I seem to have filled up just by plugging the damn thing in. Not to worry of course, they'll sell me more space on an annual basis for amounts that seem to start at $70 a year. The blade and cartridge marketing is never far behind. I have a feeling it's something I can live without.

I hate laptops, so I guess I'm old school by still using a desktop. I'm not much for cell phone usage either, with the damn thing hardly ever being on. I've got an iPhone 5 or 6 hand-me-down from my daughter. The flip phone was finally abandoned with no fanfare. I don't even know where it is.

The cell phone does serve a purpose when I want to make an online bet and I'm nowhere near a landline. I was once able to view a race I was very much interested in from Hyannis Harbor one year. The horse finished third I think. I have no idea whether I should have been able to place an inter-state wager across a wireless connection. No one came after me.

I will admit that I continued paying for tech support, so setting up the parts to this system was not all that hard. It took several phone calls over a two-day period, but I paced myself and I think I survived the ordeal without any expletives being uttered. At least not out loud.

I have to say I'm happy to have done this. The printer is working fine and will soon be pressed into printing the Belmont past performances for tomorrow's July 4th card. There are several very decent stake races scheduled, and I'm hunting for exactas.

This whole upgrade was kicked off when I tried to download the Belmont Stakes card for June 20th and the printer just conked out and refused to continue. I had only managed to print a few pages before it was diagnosing a problem that was going to take two hours to even get to if I was willing to take the printer apart. They weren't kidding. Thank God it wasn't a bomb that needed deactivating.

Since the printer was at least 11 years old, I figured poor Yorick had served me well. It was time to let it go to its rest. It now sits on the dining room floor awaiting special sanitation pickup. The cat's not even interested in it.

If the same amount of time elapses between Windows 10 and the next must-have version, as elapsed between Windows 7 and Windows 10, then there's probably great statistical likelihood this is my last upgrade.

I'm going to enjoy it while I can.

http://www.onofframp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment