Sunday, October 20, 2019

Kelleycanrun Did Run

The reminder from the Daily Racing Form was just what I expected: Kelleycanrun was going to next run on October 14 at Belmont in the sixth race. However, I was go to be away that week, so I needed to remember to bet the race from my phone to my betting account.

My wife reminded me, and I struggled that afternoon to navigate the betting prompts, but did get my bet in, conformed it, and waited for he result.

Since I never make any bet that could possibly be equated with the word "large" I let it go and reminded myself the next day to check my balance. It went up. Kelleycanrun did run well enough this time to win. I got what for me was a nice return.

My regret was that I wasn't at the track and therefore didn't get a chance to smooze my way into the winners' circle photo with Richie and the other the connections. Maybe someday.

I doubt the outcome of the race was immediately known, since Kelleycanrun won by a nose, this time ridden by Junior Alvarado. My guess is that no one was happy with Jose Lezcano's ride the last time out, having the horse too far back early in the race; failing with a good stretch run..

The whole six horse field was in a bit of a blanket finish in the Maiden Special Weight race at
7 furlongs on the turf. A nose, a length, another nose, a length and three-quarters and three-quarters of a length separated the finishers. A somewhat typical turf race finish, that was run in the excellent time of 1:21.3, likely earning a nice Beyer speed rating.

My own notion is that the quality of the competition was very good, and that some of the finishers are going to go on and win the next time out, including Kelleycanrun.  The payouts for Kelleycanrun reflect the second-choice favoritism: $8.30; $3.40; $2.30. I like to think if I was there I'd have also hit the $2 exacta for $23 with the outright favorite running second. Bobby G. of The Assembled, hit with his $20 win bet, again not backing it up with a place bet hedge. Some things don't change.

My hope is there is another race for Kelleycanrun before turf racing ends here in New York and lots of the stables head for Florida and the winter meets down there.

When I next go to the track I'll head to the photographer's office and buy the winners' circle photo. Not many people actually go to the track these days, but when you make it to the winners' circle no one ever has to be asked to smile.

http://www.onofframp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment