Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Come On, Come On

I'm sure there can be an academic debate trying to answer the question, "has song writing replaced poetry?" "Replaced" would probably be a bad verb to choose. But for some, I'm sure lyrics have surged ahead of poetry in their consciousness. But then, aren't lyrics poetry set to music? Of course they are. So, poetry is alive and well is all aspects. We just download it, stream it, and copy it these days.

Years and years ago I made the comment to someone that it seemed to me that my father didn't spend much rime reading the paper as he got older. Actually, it never really seemed he spent the amount of time with the paper that I devote, but whatever time it was, it certainly had gotten shorter.

My theory to this was that he had read all those stories before. Only the names and dates had changed. After all, he was born in 1915, lived through the Depression in a cold water flat in New York City, was educated, but well-educated in public schools, and later worked his way through college waiting on tables in Syracuse in a cousin's restaurant, graduating with an engineering degree.

He was in the army for the Big One, and was stationed in Guam. He didn't see combat, but certainly was away from home for years, with the threat of Japanese planes finding the island and bombing it. No matter what you're doing in a war, there is the chance the enemy will get you and you'll be shipped back in a box.

At this point in my life I find myself comparing my sentiments with his at the same age. It's like the lyrics in Mary Chapin's Carpenter's song, 'Come On, Come On,' ..."now you're older than they were then."

I still devote a fair amount of time to reading the newspapers, certainly more than my father did. But as I first scan the morning papers' headlines and sub-headings I mentally tag those stories that there will no need to do a deep dive into later; there's something I have no need to read.

The morning papers for me are The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal. Paper. Hard copy. Even with home delivery discounted prices, I spend what can be viewed as significant money on these indulgences annually. That's the way I want it.

So, what stories are of no interest? Generally the personal advice, health and food topics and investment ideas for retirement. I'm nearly five years into my retirement, so either I did a good job of planning, or I'm headed for ruin. It's too late whether to decide to take Social Security, early, or late. I'm there already. W-2s do not accompany my tax returns.

Take today's papers. The following articles will hold no interest for me. They are taken directly from only the first page of the nine sections these two papers break down into. The list will get much bigger as I open the sections. Later for that.

NYT: Seize the Morning. The case for Breakfast: A little early effort in the kitchen can pay big dividends for the rest of the day.
Are they kidding?

NYT: Ticket App Is Making Broadway Inroads
As soon as I see the word "app" I move on.

WSJ: Ikea's India Bet Hits Thicket of Rules
Things I build I put together without buying anything at Ikea.

WSJ: Spin or Yoga--What your Workout Says About You
Are you talking to me?

WSJ: Device Aims To Bring an End To Bad Home Wi-Fi
"Device" is like the word "app." Next.

WSJ: Getting Paid to Live Near Your Job. Company-offered subsidies attract new hires to high-rent areas like Silicon Valley.
This one has a picture of a young man standing in front of his bike on a hardwood floor at his job. I no longer ride a bike. My back is bad. And, I'm not moving to either Silicon Valley, or even Silicon Alley. No one is asking me to.

Getting older is not so bad. There is a good deal less to worry about, and there's not a great deal of time left to fuck up.

http://www.onofframp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment