Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Johhny's Guests

A few years ago when I was still working, someone younger than me at work (my boss) asked me if I looked at 'YouTube' at all. "No, not at all." I knew something about it, but hadn't really explored it, and considered it another way to waste time scrolling through the Internet. I thought it was just a collection of home videos that people had uploaded about their cats, dogs, children, and funny things with a lawnmower.

Well, all that is still there, but I found 'YouTube' was a vast reservoir of film clips and TV segments that was a wonderful way to spend some time. And when someone notable passes away, if they were a performer, I find myself going to 'YouTube' to see them on the 'Tonight Show' with Johnny Carson.

We know Johnny's gone, but now his guests are dropping off as well. Monday it was news about Robin Williams. Tuesday it was news about Lauren Bacall. If these deaths do come in threes, then the next one will probably be someone you can also see on 'YouTube' with Johnny Carson. (How is Joan Rivers feeling these days?)

In 1980 when Ms. Bacall was promoting her first autobiography, 'Lauen Bacall: By Myself,' she appeared on the Tonight show with Johnny. She looked great, and with every husky word and every flirty gesture, she exuded sexuality.

As with anyone promoting a book, Johnny dutifully held the book up and the camera zoomed in on the cover. More banter followed, and Johnny, ever one to find  a way to sneak something sexy and flirty himself into the conversation, conceded that the book she was inscribing for him was probably the only way he was going to get to have her "between the covers."

The guests and the Carson show were such fun.

http://www.onofframp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment