Monday, July 21, 2014

Walter Mitty

I have this Walter Mitty-like thought that I'm sitting in a journalism class and the professor asks us to sum up the headlines of the day in one word. Easy. "Conflict."

My answer is so good the professor asks me to elaborate, which I of course do with a well-spoken speech. I don't what answers the others in the class gave, or even how many others there are. I also don't know how old I am in the Mitty class. I just imagine the question and the answer.

Front page headlines by definition are never really about good news. If the event itself isn't tragic or attention getting on its own, the editors will attempt to make it so through size of type and choice of words.

Of course, there are enough people these days who believe print will disappear. Rupert Murdoch doesn't think it will any time too quickly, and certainly not if he has anything to do with it. He loves print. In a recent 'Fortune' magazine interview Rupert tells the reporter that he just came back from burying his mother. She passed away at 103 in Australia. Rupert plans to be with us.

So, to prove the "answer" I gave in class is always right, take today's front page headlines from the the NYT and the WSJ.

Missouri Alone in Resisting Prescription Drug Database
Victims' Bodies Held Hostage Over Distrust
Neighborhood Ravaged On Deadliest Say So Far For Both Sides in Gaza
In the Battleground of Words, Hatred and Muddied Reality

West Lays Blame With Russia
Israel, Hamas Clash in Deadly Day
Lucrative Drug Niche Sparks Legal Scramble

The world is a big place. It's a good thing.

http://www.onofframp.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment