Friday, July 25, 2014

Maverick

I mis-heard my wife the other day when she said that "James Horner has died." "Oh, the guy who wrote the music from 'Titanic.'" "No, James Garner has passed away."

Who of  "certain age" didn't like James Garner? I grew up with 'Maverick' and was angry when a vice-presidential candidate from Alaska declared herself a 'maverick.' Sarah, I've watched loads of TV, and you're not close to being a maverick.

I loved Maverick. I loved Garner in "The Great Escape". I loved him in 'the "The Americanization of Emily". I loved him in the "Rockford Files". I loved him in Polaroid commercials with Mariette Hartley, and would surely have bought a Polaroid if I didn't already have one.

I loved James Garner in "Murphy's Romance". I loved he and James Woods in "My Name is Bill W", about the founders of Alcoholics Anonymous. It, along with the Bette Davis, Gena Rowlands TV movie, 'Strangers' were the best TV movies I've ever seen, and the only Bette Davis movie I ever liked. I loved him on Johnny Carson when Don Rickles teased him that all his movies made him laugh.

Like Sara Lee baked goods, nobody doesn't like James Garner. Certainly not the woman he was married to for 57 years, Lois Clarke. Julie Andrews, his co-star in "The Americanization of Emily", admits "I don't know a lady who isn't a bit in love with him."

Perhaps I've always been trying to channel some of the James Garner charm. I've found there's no better way to make a middle-age woman feel good about herself, or flirt with her slightly, than to tell her what Garner told Sally Field as she walked down the hall in the hospital after being admitted for observation because of an auto accident caused by a horny farm boy, than when he gets a glimpse of her uncovered behind through the hospital gown.

"Well, I will say, you're seasoned, not sagging."

http://www.onofframp.blogdpot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment