Monday, January 6, 2014

A Pillow for Your Head

Pillows are nice to sleep on. Throughout my life I can remember sleeping with a pillow. One pillow under my head. I see this as an implied ratio, One person, one pillow. Somewhat like those voting rulings from the Supreme Court. Why then, does my wife put six pillows on our bed? Is she expecting company?

You see this kind of thing in those Martha Stewart  and Ralph Lauren ads about upscale, comfortable bedding. Make the bed look great. Decorate.

Of course, of the six pillows my wife plumps and plops on the bed, four are strictly for show. And it's not just victims of design advertising that do this, hotels are in on it too.

I was once on a business trip, checked into the room before going to the meet-and-greet, and counted seven pillows on my bed.

When I got downstairs I asked anyone at the gathering if they needed an extra pillow. "I've got seven pillows on my bed and there's a kid in Brazil who is probably sleeping on a soccer ball."

No takers. Everyone else also had seven pillows.

http://onofframp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment