Monday, December 17, 2012

Just a Few Words

The events of the Connecticut school shootings are not beyond words. Perhaps beyond understanding, but not beyond description.

Things change, and they don't change. We've been here before. Growing up, my friends and I only had the Soviet Union to worry about. My daughters didn't go to kindergarten with police outside the school. Today, my grand-daughter did.

When Howard Unruh passed away in 2009, at the age of 88, the obituary revealed a slice of history I hadn't heard about. I commented on it in an entry, and even the next day had a little more to add. Mr. Unruh's rampage was in 1949, and took 13 lives, but not his. His weapon was a 9 millimeter German Luger pistol he had bought at a gun shop in 1947. Gun control was mentioned even then.

In the inevitable listing of events, Mr. Unruh's still made the cut. Nothing will change unless those that resist efforts to change things don't stop resisting. Even a little. Hopefully, a lot.

The hope is there aren't quite as many gun enthusiasts today as there might have been on Friday morning.

http://www.onofframp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment