Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Eye-e-duh and 'Liz and Dick'

The above picture appeared in yesterday's New York Times and immediately got my attention. Because of all the publicity of Lindsay Lohan playing Liz Taylor in the Lifetime biopic 'Liz and Dick' that was on the night before, I immediately assumed they were still writing about it. I naturally figured the picture was a recreation of the episode in Liz and Dick's life when they were filming the movie 'Cleopatra' and the adults around me were happy because Eddie Fisher had been dumped by Liz after himself dumping America's sweetheart Debbie Reynolds for Liz, who was now hooking up with Richard Burton. Take that, Eddie. You are a cad. I heard it more than once.

It would have been hard not to know about Lindsay playing Liz. Lindsay's image of being Liz had already been on the sides of buses. And when you're on the side of a bus people get a chance to see the news of the next media event sweeping the nation. New York City buses move so slow anyone can keep up with the print that's passing by. But because Lindsay had obviously completed her obligation of being in the Lifetime production, the fun of anticipating her being under the bus was gone. The film is in the can, and Lindsay can be Lindsay, if she wants to.

When I glanced at the picture and started looking for Liz and Dick I realized it really was a scene from the Metropolitan Opera's production of 'Aida,' that was performed on Saturday. The caption also helped.

I will readily admit my knowledge of opera is slim. I only know slightly more than someone who knows nothing. I've been to two operas, one of which was so long ago Sid Ceasar played the jailer, a talking part in Johann Strauss II's 'Die Fledermaus,' when he inserted shtick about the Texaco refinery having recently blown up in New Jersey and the contribution that was making to global warming.

I also know that the aria 'O Mio Babbino Caro' is not the theme song to the movie 'Moonstruck' but is a treasured chestnut from the Puccini opera 'Gianni Schicchi' that tends to moisten eyes.

Somewhat like Charlie the Tuna, I try to assimilate some added culture to my life by occasionally giving opera another chance. The latest was when I got caught up in watching the 'PBS' story of the Canadian director, Robert Lepage, who conceived and built a stage more complex than an aircraft carrier to be used for Wagner's famous 'Ring' cycle.

I tried. But figures being pulled up while singing did little for me, and any further chance of getting to know more Wagner was dashed when a solo figure with a spear stood at a corner of the set and seemed to sing. Or, was being sung to. And not move. To me, it was Moondog in his Viking outfit on Sixth Avenue. Maybe Moondog was imitating the opera? Since Moondog is long gone, we won't know.

So, I wasn't among the present when the triumphal march from 'Aida' was played. And I completely forgot about Lindsay, 'Liz and Dick' and Lifetime.

The Giants were playing the Packers on 'Sunday Night Football.' And they won.

http://www.onofframp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment