Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Things People Say

I had occasion the other night to attend a reading- presentation by an author who has been fortunate enough to produce two books in the last few years that have gone from hardcover, to paperback to electronic, and that still remain in people's possession. And since the author seems to be in good health and not about to contribute their name to what precedes a comma in an obituary, I'd say we're likely to find some more things that come from this person.

But people give without even being aware of what they're giving. And last night was an example. It came in the form of a quote that was not uttered as a sound bite, not scripted by a speech writer, but was just part of something they were saying. They happened to be talking about librarians and how they quite nicely and patiently translate the public's queries into something they understand and are thus able to provide the needed help. What we hope diplomats did.

The author it seems had spent some time physically near librarians and got a sample of what their day could be like. The context of the quote went something like this. "Believe me, there are an unbelievable number of ways to be misunderstood." Isolate this utterance, roll it around in your mind, and you've got a terrific sound byte, caption, something quite dramatic, or even funny (I think).

I've long loved the cartoons in The New Yorker. Going waaaaaaay back. I've worked their settings and captions into conversations when I thought they fit. It's just something I do. Something generally always reminds me of something. And like anything else, there are cartoons you love, ones you think are stupid, and ones that are just plain impossible to understand. Find what you like, and remember it.

The New Yorker long ago realized the commercial value of these cartoons and will of course sell you copies. PowerPoint presentations sometimes can't seem to be without at least one. I've also always liked editorial cartoons and sport cartoons. I've also always wished I could draw a cartoon. I can't draw, however. So I imagine an image with a caption.

I don't spend a great deal of time doing this, but it can be fun. I was once going to try and get a family friend who can draw create a single panel cartoon in a George Price, or Chon Day style of the front door to our house in Flushing. Since that era represented the height of sports activity by its inhabitants, running, roller hockey, biking, baseball, and swimming I thought if they were to draw our front door as if it were a gym locker door, with our address as the little plated number, and put a couple in front of the door that had one explaining to the other that, "the people inside are really into sports," it would be hilarious. I still think it's funny, but we never did get Cindy to do it. But it's not too late. She's still with us. And we know where she lives.

So, imagine,"There are an unbelievable number of ways to be misunderstood" being a cartoon caption. This is a reverse setup to The New Yorker's showing a drawing on its Web Site and having you suggest tag lines. Two images come to mind, one serious, and one I think is funny. Editorial style: Picture anything post-apocalypse, post-nuclear, post-war ravaged. New Yorker style: Bride and groom with a priest in front of them.

It's my world, and I try and have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment