Friday, November 26, 2010

All Angela All the Time




Angela Merkel is easily the most photographed woman in the world. Or, if she isn't, she's easily the one world leader whose photo appears most often in a U.S. newspaper.

Let me count. No, actually, I've lost count. I have to start again, and I'll start with today's papers, The NYT and the WSJ. Three pictures. Two in the NYT, on facing pages. (Actually four pictures. One picture shows her picture within a picture, on a TV screen.)

Just in case you are not a newspaper hound, or a caption reader, Angela Merkel is the Chancellor of Germany. I don't know what it is about her face, besides seeing it a lot. It just seems friendly, maybe. She's ready to press candy into my small palm at Halloween. She's a cross between Captain Kangaroo and Julia Child without swinging a mallet at a chicken.

Make no mistake. She is everywhere. I've been observing this since sometime in August when my reading is basically confined to anything from the town of Saratoga and the Daily Racing Form. The only paper I didn't see her in was the Racing Form.

Today's captions:

Prime Minister David Cameron of Britain and Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany.
Chancellor Angela Merkel says the private sector should share the pain in future debt crisis.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Finance Minister Wolfgang Schauble meeting Thursday in Berlin.

And now that this is has been pointed out to you, you will no doubt become aware of how often you're seeing her.

If she's not on 'Dancing with the Stars' or 'American Idol' by the time the year is over, I'll eat a Euro.

http://www.onofframp.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment