Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Bear in the Woods


If there's anyone to thank, it's Margalit Fox, who writes obituaries for the Times. She takes on virtually any subject, but does seem to shine even more when it's a deceased deli luminary, or a poet. Poets are her thing, I think.

Take the fairly recent obituary on Karla Kuskin, a creator of "witty children's books." Never heard of her. Not because I don't like, read, or buy children's books, but because, I never think of them as being written by anyone. I know they are, but I know who wrote The Grapes of Wrath. I do not know who wrote Drummer Hoff, also one of my favorites.

But after Margalit's piece I've spent some time in the children's section finding a few of her books. This behavior is made even more acceptable by having a nearly two year old granddaughter. So, I fit.

I've learned more about poetry by reading Margalit than I ever learned in school. And I did like English. The out quotes are beguiling. Take one of the ones that are sprinkled in the two column obit on Ms. Kuskin:

When a cat is asleep
There is nothing asleep
That is quite so asleep
As a cat.

I've now managed to buy two of her children's books and have ordered a book of her poems from an online bookseller. Dying drives commerce.

The obit piece and the books have had an effect on me. I haven't started talking out loud as if I'm reading a children's book, but I find myself thinking that way sometimes, and certainly, on at least one occasion, found myself writing that way.

Someone who I used to work with sent me and MANY others an e-mail that begged: "please bare with me."

Despite the invitation and whatever attractiveness this presented, I did gently remind her (and only her) that she's just asked everyone to reveal something. Generally this is thought to be flesh, but I am a guy.

I hope I helped when I gave her this to remember:

A bear bares all because he has no clothes at all.

Blame Margalit.

No comments:

Post a Comment