Monday, June 29, 2009

Untitled Works


It's an art itself when someone can write an obituary like the one William Grimes did today on Michael Martin, essentially an underground graffiti artist who seems to have been as well known as Picasso, but was also paradoxically anonymous to the general public.

It is incredible that there are that many facts about someone whose work was basically displayed illegally, inside and outside subway cars with no commission from the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

I have to say I was never a fan of graffiti, but I did realize it represented a form of artistic talent that to me was just not where I wanted to see it. I first became aware of graffiti in the 60s when I noticed that just about anything in Manhattan had the tag TAKI183 written on it in what looked like Magic Marker. I first noticed it fairly high up on light poles. If "Pong" was the first version of video games, then this was the genesis of graffiti. It came a long way.

Apparently there is a great deal of source material to draw from on the better known graffiti artists. A simple Google search for TAKI183 produced a page of solid hits, and is worth checking out. Nevertheless, the assembly of all these details and quotes is what makes Mr. Grimes's obituary stand out today.

Michael Martin as Iz the Wiz might have pushed his last aerosol button a few years ago, but today's obituary will keep him among us.

And when I want a can of Rust-Oleum spray paint at Home Depot and encounter a locked cabinet, I will know who to thank.

http://www.onofframp.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment