Thursday, March 12, 2009

Too Much of A Good Thing is Wonderful

Even before yesterday's Wall Street Journal story on Art Linkletter I knew he was still with us. Toward the end of each year I go through newspaper clippings I've saved. I trim them, date them and then stack them somewhere else. I'm never current, but I do enjoy rediscovering something I once read. Only occasionally do I wonder what I had in mind that made me save them in the first place. Not there yet.

So, when I came across the somewhat recent clipping about the passing of Art Linkletter's son, Jack, at 70, and that dad still survived him, I knew Art was still with us. Especially, after checking the Internet and confirming that no, I hadn't missed an obituary, Art was still here. Yesterday's story, besides confirming his breathing, also told me a few things I didn't already know.

I didn't know he was Canadian. I knew he'd have to be in his 90s, but I didn't realize he is 96. I didn't know he's married to Lois for 73 years now. I didn't know he would admit to a reporter his feelings for Sophia Loren.

Art is apparently recovering quite well from a mild stroke he suffered last year. He told the reporter, Stephen Moore, that his friend Cary Grant admitted to his affair with Sophia and basically gave her a glowing review.

Mae West is credited with saying at some point, "Too much of good thing is wonderful." If by some turn of events Art did manage to entice Sophia there is always the chance his stroke might be the last thing he'd recover from, not to even mention that his wife Lois would find out.

But honestly, how long could she stay mad at him at this point?

http://www.onofframp.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment