Saturday, April 24, 2021

Inoculated

I am now a newly minted G.I., someone who has now been two-ply vaccinated with the Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine. For the first time since 1967 when I carried a Selective Service card (draft card) in my wallet, I am now toting another Federally issued card from the CDC in my wallet that identifies me as having completed the two-shot regimen of Covid-19 vaccinations.

The graduation happened yesterday at Aqueduct racetrack, that reliable oval in South Ozone Park Queens where I've spent many Saturday afternoons in my life, but not so many lately. 


The whole process of getting the vaccinations has reminded of a movie production, or Matryoshka dolls, things within things. Like a movie that is produced by several people...in association with...in cooperation with...I received a government sponsored vaccine produced from an private pharmaceutical company (in my case Pfizer) distributed to New York State, administered by National Guardsman at Aqueduct racetrack in cooperation with the New York Racing Association, NYRA. I'm doing fine, thanks for asking.   

This time the racing has shifted to Belmont Park as of Thursday, April 22nd. I emailed Joe Drape of the NYT and implored him to use some journalistic influence on getting patrons admitted to Belmont, and eventually Saratoga.

Joe replied that NYRA is waiting for New York State to issue guidance. New York's governor, Andrew Cuomo is of course seeking cover ever since several women have publicly accused him of inappropriate sexual behavior, seen as harassment, and the state's Attorney General launching an investigation that staff members were asked to work on the governor's book, 'American Crisis: Lessons Learned from the Covid-19 Pandemic' that played a big part in his ego-fueled Covid news conferences and a subsequent Emmy Award. (The award might be recalled.)

A victory lap book issued on October 13, 2020, certainly before Covid is completely in the rear view mirror, can certain be seen as a rush to publish. It's like a pitcher holding a dugout news conference and discussing his no-hitter through seven innings, or a jockey standing up in the irons and doing a fist pump 50 feet before the wire just as another horse passes him. It ain't over till it's over.

The Guv is pre-occupied. Everyone is anxious for some guidance. The Queens Chronicle ran a story online that NYRA was going to allow 20% attendance at Belmont with proof of test negativity or full vaccination starting opening day, April 22nd. Twenty percent of 90,000 capacity would equate to 18,000 patrons, the size of a crowd that Belmont never gets or exceeds except on Belmont Stakes Day. The place is always socially distant. 

The problem with the Queens Chronicle story was it wasn't true, and they had to print a correction. My excitement was dashed. I was ready to assemble the Assembled, since I know all us geezers have been fully vaccinated. We have to wait for Prince Andrew to show up at the office and get some work done.

So yesterday, after my shot I got to spend some moments at track as I took the required 15 minute rest before leaving to make sure I wasn't having any immediate side effects. I got to sit in the front row of the seats that looked out at the track from ground level near the clubhouse turn. If they were running, it would be announced that weather was clear, the track was fast and the turf courses were firm.

I explained to my daughter about the two turf courses at Aqueduct and the restoration of the outer one after the all-weather inner track was abandoned and the main track was made suitable for all seasons. I told her the story of the tarp over the turf courses, a story the very capable ex-jockey turned broadcaster Richard Migliore talked about on the FS1/2 racing show when turf races were once again carded at Aqueduct this year. The Mig is a very competent broadcaster, sharing his knowledge of being jockey for decades on the NYRA circuit.

I'm going to say my daughter loved being at the track and hearing about its history, and mine with it. She took some pictures of me at the entrance to the clubhouse next to the jockey statues with different owners' silks that line the vestibule. I choose a few different jockeys. The one above is me standing next to Michael Dubb's silks. Dubb's stable is a perennial money leader on the circuit. He is also on the Board of Directors.

So Guv, how about it? Just because you missed the 2015 Belmont Triple Crown presentation because of a prison break, and the 2018 one because who knows why, doesn't mean you should forget about the racetrack. After all, doesn't it generate some tax revenue that the state is always in need of?

http://www.onofframp.blogspot.com


2 comments:

  1. Going to get 2nd shot on Monday, John.Looking forward to meeting at Belmont. On to the Derby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! They got to let us in soon enough now.

      Delete