Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mighty Happy, Part II

I once started to write a bit of doggerel about a key I carry in my key case.

This is a key to a door
On the 29th floor
From a building that no longer exists…

I never really pushed it any further to a state of completion--or further incompletion. I was satisfied I said it all. The key opened a door to a computer room we used at the World Trade Center. After 9/11, there was no more door, no more building.

I thought of this unfinished piece when I read what I think is one of the best leads I’ve read in a while. Not just for the news it conveys, but for the way it is conveyed. Prose poetry. It appeared today on the front page of the NYT.

The keys found in the ignition of the sport utility vehicle that was left to explode in Times Square on Saturday evening did more than just start cars: one opened the front door to Faisal Shahzad's home.

Not bad.

http://www.onofframp.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment