Thursday, March 10, 2022

Try Open It

The NYT tribute obituary is a brief one, although there are two photos. Charles E. Entenmann 92 'Just a Baker' has passed away.

The 'just a baker' was how Charles introduced himself at his Bayshore, Long Island, NY high school's 50th reunion. He and his two brothers, along with his mother, ran a bakery that was started by his grandfather that became the nation's best-known producer of baked goods. A photo caption tells us the family sold the business in 1978! that was later sold in 2002 to Bimbo Bakeries, USA in 2002. Thank God they never used their name on the box. Who in the right mind would buy a product created by something called Bimbo Bakery?

The caption goes on to explain that although there was ownership change, unchanged was the quality of the product and the packaging of the white boxes with cellophane windows. The product has instant visual recognition.

What the caption doesn't say is how hard it is to open a box of Entenmann's baked goods. I once blogged Rosanne Cash after learning at a concert of hers at Zankel Hall that she was a New Yorker living in NYC for decades—and not Nashville—that by now she probably was able to open a box of Entenmann's without destroying the packaging.

Opening a box of Entenmann's is an art form. In fact, I know a very sturdy Irish-American fellow born  and raised in the Bronx who even briefly played semi-pro football with the NY Giants' taxi squad who freely admits to this day he can't open a box of Entenmann's without leaving the packaging damaged. The flaps must be secured with Gorilla glue. It takes patience and a safe cracker's touch.

Note:

Having written this posting and sharing it with my daughter Nancy, she in turn shared a photo of a shredded box of Entenmann's that granddaughter Olivia tried to open cleanly. It didn't work. Olivia got there, but remarked, "this is impossible to open."

The obit writer, James Barron, tells us "Bimbo Bakeries USA is a division of a Mexican company that says it is the largest commercial baker in the United States. Besides Entenmann's, Bimbo markets venerable bread and pastry brands like Arnold, Sara Lee and Thomas'". Who knew?

The baked goods are always top notch. Even if the product is now made nationally, it is so good. Mr. Barron tells us of Frank Sinatra having had the crumb coffee cake delivered to wherever he was. The pecan coffee cake with icing is so good that if it comes in the house I nearly devour that whole cake in one sitting. I keep taking slices until I've gone through 2/3s of the cake, and then force myself to stop. The chocolate frosted donuts are another item that is quickly made to disappear.

When I help my wife unload the groceries and see that she's sprung for Entenmann's I always comment how happy I am. She always replies, "It was on sale, That's why you're getting it."

You have to know that while I help my wife unload groceries, I never shop with her. I'm not allowed to. Nearing 47 years of marriage has not softened her attitude to having me accompany her anywhere in a supermarket. She'd rather have toothpicks driven under her finger nails than have me alongside her and a grocery cart.

Of course this doesn't mean I can't buy Entenmann's if I'm in the grocery store on my own. And I do. When it's on sale.

http://www.onofframp.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment