There is no better feeling than walking into a racetrack, betting first race—and hitting. It's even better when the racetrack is the "newly reimagined Belmont" and you're there for its maiden weeks, sailing into history.
I was at Belmont yesterday for a nine race card. I got a seat, with a back, that was closer to the finish than I imagined it would be. In fact, I was in front of the "Secretariat Pole," the skinny, blue and white marker just inside the 16th pole that indicates where the second place horse was in the 1973 Belmont Stakes when Bid Red was crossing the finish line with a 31 length lead and record setting time. (I was there, standing on a seat in the last 3rd floor section, section screaming at my friend, "look at the time, look at the time." Ron Turcotte was caught looking at it too.)
I will say the new Belmont has vastly improved sightlines; a longer stretch, (the old Belmont stretch was shorter than Aqueduct's. It's true.) and from the second floor, a closeness to the track that you didn't have before.
Sitting at the Secretariat Pole and looking to the right at the finish line, I have to say it doesn't look like a great distance; but it is for a margin of victory. It is very nearly the length of a football playing field.
Not sure if I like the single, huge tote/replay screen dominating the center viewpoint. No possible exacta combinations are displayed, only the flashing of latest odds and the center video screen. Exacta, and double possibles are visible on any of the many televisions.
The place is not finished. The infield is a mess of ongoing construction, no doubt putting a lake in, and making what will be spectator accommodations for Belmont Day, and possibly the Breeders' Cup.
The upper floors are not open yet. I'm hoping there will be a 3th floor, and maybe even a 4th floor that will allow spectator viewing that looks over the many, many boxes below.
The paddock landscaping, outside of th ancient Japanese white pine, is in place to grow, but is hardy there yet. The place looks sparse for now.
The turf courses look lush, and the Tapeta looks ready to be put to use again when races come off the turf. Off-the-turf-days will no longer default to the main track, generating a slew of scratches, creating unwelcome small fields. Even though Tapeta is the closest thing there is to turf, handicapping adjustments will have to be made.
Only two of the Assembled made the outing; Bobby G. and Johnny D., a newly minted nonagenarian and a teetering, septuagenarian, who were somewhat pooped by the amount of walking there was to do, making the way from the Elmont-UBS arena LIRR station (despite a welcome, and unexpected shuttle service) and the trek from one of the parking lots.
Hopefully, the remaining third member of the Assembled will be available to come when the next outing is planned; as yet to be determined.
So, how did the rest of day go for Bobby G—who also hit the first race—and Johnny D?
Bobby G. netted a profit that added a Ulysses S. Grant to his wallet. Johnny D. continued his history of winning the last race—an uncanny ability that stretches back over 50 years—resulting in a net loss that represented the cost of two pepperoni slices. No major financial setback there.
http://www.onofframp.blogspot.com


No comments:
Post a Comment