Sunday, November 20, 2016

A Well-Turned Phrase

I love a well-turned phrase.  So much so that years ago I started to collect them into what was going to be what I learned was called a 'Common Place' book. I still have a collection of phrases I keep on a thumb drive, but the reality is no one is really interested in them other than myself. I took instead to posting blog entries when someone suggested I start to do so. I've always thanked them for that advice.

I am now in my eighth year of posting entries, but I do still collect phrases I've read that I like. Very often these phrases, quotes, are found in obituaries. Sometimes in just general news articles.

Recently, I realized my way for preserving these phrases for myself would be to occasionally compile them is a blog posting. So, here is a posting that plops down a few of these favorite phrases, while providing a little background context.

These are from the WSJ's 'Mansion' section. Within that section there is always a  small piece from someone who has achieved a bit of notoriety, talking about where they grew up and where they now live. There probably aren't many of us who now live exactly where they grew up.

Chazz Palminteri is one of my favorite actors. The scene in 'Analyze This' where he puts the phone down and declares that he's going to get to the bottom of the definition of that word 'closure' is as good as anything Bogart mumbled while having had way too much to drink in a gin joint in North Africa. His gin joint.

I remember when Chazz was on 'Regis with Katy Lee' many, many years ago and he mentioned how he met his wife. He described seeing this beautiful creature go into a Catholic church. Being raised Catholic, he respected the sanctity of the church, and waited until she re-emerged on the sidewalk before he started to chat her up. Hit on her, I guess.

It worked, because they now seem to be married quite a long time, have two children, and live in what is described as a big house north of New York City. I'm going to take that to mean he lives in Westchester.

The opening paragraph is a beaut:

Only the wiseguys had money when I was a kid. I grew up in the Belmont section of the Bronx, a great Italian neighborhood. Most parents there didn't have much. They worked hard to make a better life for their families. For me and my friends, it was paradise. I saw a guy kill a man when I was 9. Other than that, we had fun.

Life can hold some life-defining moments. This certainly was one for Chazz.

Further on, Chazz mentions his mother and father. His mother is still alive at 97.

My father was handsome guy. He grew up in Brooklyn and fell in love with my mother, Rose, at a Manhattan dance. They were only with each other their whole lives.

Don't know how long forever is? That's how long it is.

http://www.onofframp.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment